Leonardo da Vinci

I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed the latest email titled “Let’s Leonardo da Vinci this shit”.

The loss of perspective is 100% true. I used to describe anxiety to people like I’m unable to make a reasonable and logical decision, when I’m in the middle of an anxiety attack. It distorts my ability to be my best, and lately I’ve found that when I’m feeling stressed and anxious I suck my gut in for long periods of time which actually causes me some discomfort. The good news is that I’m aware of it and I’m sharing this because I had to learn that I was doing it the hard way, and wished that someone had told me that they had experienced the same or similar things.

Thank you so, so much for this feedback @thecrucialbrett. Knowing when the newsletter is affecting people is huge for me. This is stuff you can’t tell from open rates, you know?

I know exactly what you mean. If anxiety is a problem around distorted perspective, then the idea that we will be able to recognize it when it’s happening is exactly…what we suck at. Often friends and loved ones attempt to help by giving us a realistic perspective (Example: a friend was awaiting test results and she was sure she was going to hear she had a terminal illness. No matter how many times her husband said that she wasn’t going to die, it didn’t help. Why? Because the problem wasn’t the test or its results. The problem was that she couldn’t recognize her loss of perspective. And I know exactly how she feels).

When I was a kid my mom used to tell me, “Take deeper breaths, Meredith.” But I often just ignored her. I didn’t realize that the taking of deeper breaths was the exact thing that would give me a path back to a more realistic perspective…and THAT was what would feel better.

Thank you B, for sharing this so that others can see it! Hope you’re doing well down in Melbourne!